Fried Ripe Tomatoes ~ Type O
- 3 large firm, ripe Beefsteak tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons butter plus more as needed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 ml to 60 ml) of soy milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Unseasoned spelt bread crumbs
- Spelt Flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more as needed
- Slice tomatoes 1/2-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk together milk and eggs in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, spread out a thick layer of bread crumbs. Place dishes side by side on the counter so you can bread the tomatoes before frying.
- Dip each tomato slice in the egg-milk mixture to coat, then in the flour mixture. Dip the floured tomato slice back into the egg, and then into the bread crumbs.
- With heat at medium-high, add butter and oil to 10--inch (24-cm) skillet. When butter is melted and oil is hot, place coated tomato slices (three or four at a time) in the frying pan, and fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add more butter or oil to the pan, as necessary.
- Drain cooked tomato slices on a plate that has been covered with a paper towel.