Quinoa, Oats & Spelt Cookies ~ Type O
(makes about 20 cookies)
1 2/3 cups (150g) quinoa flakes
2/3 cup (60g) rolled oats
1 cup (125g) whole spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (100g) extra-virgin coconut oil (not liquid), in room temperature
3/4 cup (150g) raw organic sugar
1. Preheat oven to 355 F (180C) and line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
2. Place the quinoa flakes and rolled oats in a food processor and blitz until quite fine.
3. Place the quinoa, oats, spelt flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
4. Beat the coconut oil and sugar in a separate bowl until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add the dry ingredients into the mixture and gently knead the dough incorporating little bit of cold water in if necessary. Use just enough water for the dough to come together. I find this easiest to do by watering my hands, then kneading the dough.
5. Take small portions of the dough and shape them into disks. Place on the cookie sheet leaving a bit of space between each cookie.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch and golden brown. You may need to gently flip them over half way through to ensure even baking.
7. Cool on a wire rack, then store in an air-tight container.
Adapted from recipe at: http://scandifoodie.blogspot.com/2011/07/quinoa-oats-and-spelt-cookies.html